Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Maps of Badajoz

For all discussions relating to the Peninsular War of 1808-14.

Maps of Badajoz

Postby ctrunfree » December 12th, 2016, 3:33 am

Hi people

I'd like to find a good map of Badajoz c 1812 which I could use to compare with a modern town map in advance of my visit next year.

I have In Hell Before Daylight but find the maps in that book a little unclear and confusing. Does anyone know of a good online alternative?
ctrunfree

Re: Maps of Badajoz

Postby Emperors Library » December 12th, 2016, 5:58 am

Hi,
Have you tried Google yet?
Using the words " map Badajoz 1812 " will get you a good selection of maps.

Regards
Paul
Emperors Library

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » December 12th, 2016, 12:50 pm

There is a lot of information and photos of Badajoz on the Frorum. Search 'Badajoz'. This early link mentions several books with maps you might consult. Also photos of recent memorials. The diorama was always difficult to find and may not be there any more. But the walls are still there, including the castle wall. And you can climb onto the exterior, western wall that was first breached by the 30th, close to the river.

You might find the old map on the first page of this badajoz1812 blog useful. The blog is the contribution of young Badajoz historians, the first to seriously interest themselves in the Siege. I took a tour of the battlefield with them, led by Col.Nick Lipscombe. They asked him why the British went berserk, having grown up with the Spanish take on the Siege. He answered that unfortunately the soldiers who had just survived the Siege of Ciudad Rodrigo were asked to go through the same thing again at Badajoz. They wondered if the Spanish were for or against them.
http://badajoz1812.blogspot.com.es/2010 ... %20Badajoz,

There is a new history museum close to the castle. It houses a diorama of the battle and might have a useful map. On the wall if not in the shop.

You might find the clip on this page interesting. It gives the history of the Siege
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=Badajoz&start=250

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby OXFORDMON » December 12th, 2016, 3:34 pm

Try the Napoleon-Series map archive, a very good range on there:

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/c_maps.html

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby ctrunfree » December 12th, 2016, 10:19 pm

Thanks everyone for those suggestions. They'll be a great help!
ctrunfree

Return to Peninsular War 1808-14