Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

San Sebastian PW memorial

For all discussions relating to the Peninsular War of 1808-14.

San Sebastian PW memorial

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » September 9th, 2012, 12:03 pm

The first part of the text on http://www.kingsownmuseum.plus.com/memo ... astian.htm is refuted by all the pictures of memorials to British troops who died in Spain in the PW section of this forum but the contemporary pictures of the unveiling in 1924 are the best I've seen.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Re: San Sebastian PW memorial

Postby Juanjo Irazoki » September 20th, 2012, 4:15 pm

I think in August I wrote that I´d take some pictures from John Hill´s memorial at the base of the church at Bera(my hometown) ,30 kmts from San Sebastian(Donostia) .It´s not easy to find the place(you have to ask for a key to a neighbour, just 100 yards from the place Wellington spent some days.I´ll send them in a few days. Well I think I´ll be able to. I have some others too from San Migel bridge, but there are similar pictures already at this forum site.The bridge is being rebuilt by local volunteers(there is an architect, a constructor, among others in the group)with a good care.
Juanjo Irazoki
Juanjo Irazoki

Postby duncan5801 » January 2nd, 2013, 10:12 am

This might interest those that look for Peninsular War Monuments memorials and other extent elements of the conflict, Google Books have listed :The Journal of the Royal Engineers Vol 15: my notes tell me it mentions that the burial place of Colonel Sir Richard Fletcher and other English officers in San-Sebastian was on the Height of Aitzerrota (Molino de Mento)* on what is called La Cumbre on the estate of the Duke of Tovar at the Western end of the ridge that the Convent of St Barthomew stands on. The description of the memorial was in 1912 with the Curator of the San-Sebastian Municipal Museum one Don Pedro de Soraluce, it also records that Fletcher was shot in the neck in what is now called the Arenal de Gross area of the city on the other side of the river. It would seem that the monument survived the first Carlist War but was gone by 1870. There was a lot of military and later construction activity in this area so it might be that the actual grave was moved but it could still be there with any luck. Bit of a long shot I know but clearly Fletcher and other senior or Field officers were given the best burials time space and future security would allow. * This is more probably Molino del Viento and translates as windmill of the wind, unusual in the area as most mills were water driven.
duncan5801

Postby Dominique T. » January 2nd, 2013, 1:19 pm

The current state of the memorial http://napoleon-monuments.eu/Napoleon1e ... nSebastian

Really saddening.
Dominique T.

Postby Banker » January 2nd, 2013, 11:47 pm

What a very sad shame. Maybe it will get restored as the anniversary draws near?

Regards Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker
Forum Moderator

Postby Txapo » January 3rd, 2013, 4:44 pm

Banker wrote:What a very sad shame. Maybe it will get restored as the anniversary draws near?

Regards Steve

Every time it has been restored the heads have been there for a short time. Indeed the monument is placed where it is as in the main gardens was already atacked 100 years ago the very same night it was placed there. It has become like a local tradition to destroy that monument.
Txapo
Participating Member

Postby Banker » January 3rd, 2013, 11:29 pm

Well that is indeed a shame and a disgrace aswell.

Regards Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker
Forum Moderator

Postby duncan5801 » October 31st, 2013, 11:31 am

Members might find this site of interest, if they have not already found and translated it. Of great interest is the tomb slab from Col Richard Fletchers original tomb being re-used in a later tomb as a base! Anyone else know of this? I tracked down the original location of Fletchers grave through Internet searches but only came across this site recently.
duncan5801

Postby duncan5801 » October 31st, 2013, 11:35 am

Site referenced to in my last post on San-Sebastian PW Memorial

http://comedurasdetarro.over-blog.es/ar ... 98938.html
duncan5801

Postby duncan5801 » November 27th, 2013, 12:08 pm

The web site below shows the recent excavation of the English cemetary graves in Donostia-San-Sebastian, who are these individuals? A forensic investigation could prove interesting.

http://www.donostia.org/info/ciudadano/ ... id=A397745
duncan5801

Next

Return to Peninsular War 1808-14