Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

french - 4the infantry

For all discussions relating to the Peninsular War of 1808-14.

Re: french - 4the infantry

Postby Senarmont198 » July 25th, 2017, 2:24 pm

The Garde de Paris was first organized in 1802 as the Municipal Guard of Paris with two infantry regiments and a squadron of dragoons. It was militarized in 1806, placed under the Ministry of War instead of the prefect of the Seine Department, under the command of the Governor of Paris. Its title was changed to the Guard of Paris. Usually thereafter, one or two battalions were with the field armies. Two battalions were lost at Baylen (the second battalions of both regiments) and in 1812 the infantry was consolidated into one regiment. The regimental commander put the unit at the disposal of Malet during the plot while Napoleon was in Russia. The dragoon squadron stood firm and loyal. As punishment, the infantry were converted to the 134th Ligne and as a reward the dragoon squadron was given the dangerous compliment of being assigned to the Imperial Guard's 2d Lancer Regiment, the famous 'Red Lancers.'
Senarmont198
Senior Member
 
Posts: 448
Joined: May 28th, 2015, 10:23 am

Previous

Return to Peninsular War 1808-14

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

cron