Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Siege of Raab June 1809

For all discussions relating to campaigns fought by the coalition of Austria and Britain against France and Bavaria of 1809.

Siege of Raab June 1809

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » January 18th, 2015, 11:06 am

JUNE 1809: THE SIEGE OF RAAB by Ferdi Irmfried Wober was published by the Napoleonic Historical Society. http://www.napoleonichistoricalsociety. ... f_Raab.pdf

Napoleon's purpose in seizing the fortressed town of Raab was to have a possible point of retreat in case of difficulties with the Austrian army. An interesting article with good illustrations.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Re: Siege of Raab June 1809

Postby Senarmont198 » June 6th, 2015, 11:20 am

I don't think we can see the subject article unless we're members.

From what I have read of Eugene's campaign in northern Italy in 1809, Raab was the decisive win, and the taking of the garrison left there by the Archduke John, 2500 troops who didn't aggressively defend their 'fortress', was a footnote to the battle and campaign. That happened 8 days after the battle (22 June, the battle happening on 14 June).

Perhaps you could summarize the article for us, as well as listing some of the references used?
Senarmont198

Re: Siege of Raab June 1809

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » June 6th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Senarmont198 wrote:I don't think we can see the subject article unless we're members.
Perhaps you could summarize the article for us, as well as listing some of the references used?

I can't remember your having to be a member to read the article I recommended but it is the case now. I expect they have an archive - the article was published four 4 years ago. Sorry!

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Return to War of the Fifth Coalition 1809