Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

British Napoleonic Uniforms by C.E. Franklin

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest such as DVD/TV documentaries and film.

Re: British Napoleonic Uniforms by C.E. Franklin

Postby TheBibliophile » February 13th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Everything Ive seen does seem to paint the cavalry in a bad light. the suggestion is they tended to lose their control in the heat of battle... treating it more like a fox hunt, if you will.. but as ever there are both good and bad examples of leadership, just the same as with the infantry.... examples of either extreme would be John Gaspard Le Marchant, who was well thought of, intelligent but sadly killed... and the very poor John Slade... who was a liability....
www.theadmiraltyboard.co.uk / viewfromthefightingtops.wordpress.com and I'm a twit @keitha109
TheBibliophile

Postby Mark » February 13th, 2012, 11:09 pm

OXFORDMON wrote:
unclearthur wrote:just about every historian and his dog slagged off British horsemen

Hi Jonathan

The Cavalry do seem to get a bad press, 'galloping at everything' i think was Wellingtons view, make a good title for a book! ;)

Andy.

TheBibliophile wrote:Everything Ive seen does seem to paint the cavalry in a bad light. the suggestion is they tended to lose their control in the heat of battle... treating it more like a fox hunt, if you will.. but as ever there are both good and bad examples of leadership, just the same as with the infantry.... examples of either extreme would be John Gaspard Le Marchant, who was well thought of, intelligent but sadly killed... and the very poor John Slade... who was a liability....

There does seem to have been a lot of historians over the years who have done little but slate the British cavalry throughout history - and while some criticism is deserved equally some isn't! Thankfully one or two authors are now attempting to redress the balance such as Ian Fletcher's "Galloping at Everything: The British Cavalry in the Peninsular War and Waterloo Campaign, 1808-15".

Also, although out the scope of this forum, I am currently reading David Kenyon's "Horsemen in No Man's Land: British Cavalry and Trench Warfare 1914-1918" which also seeks (rather successfully) to counter the argument that they were a useless outdated arm in the First World War.

Hopefully a few more historians/authors will re-examine the issue using more primary sources rather than regurgitating the past inaccuracies of their predecessors.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby unclearthur » February 14th, 2012, 12:03 pm

OXFORDMON wrote:
unclearthur wrote:just about every historian and his dog slagged off British horsemen

Hi Jonathan

The Cavalry do seem to get a bad press, 'galloping at everything' i think was Wellingtons view, make a good title for a book! ;)

Andy.

Ha, ha!

Funnily enough I emailed Ian Fletcher the other week as his book was the first I found that took a more realistic view without jumping straight on the Oman 'the cavalry were rubbish' bandwagon. Most negativity came from retired infantrymen - no inter-service rivalry there, then. Some things never change!

J.

[url]http:cavalrytales.wordpress.com[/url]
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Postby unclearthur » February 14th, 2012, 12:19 pm

TheBibliophile wrote:Everything Ive seen does seem to paint the cavalry in a bad light. the suggestion is they tended to lose their control in the heat of battle... treating it more like a fox hunt, if you will.. but as ever there are both good and bad examples of leadership, just the same as with the infantry.... examples of either extreme would be John Gaspard Le Marchant, who was well thought of, intelligent but sadly killed... and the very poor John Slade... who was a liability....

I'm not sure how to take Slade. He couldn't have been all bad since Wellington kept him as a brigade commander for ages. He seems to have been a shirker on the retreat to Corunna according to the accounts I've read and Mollo says the Prince of Wales didn't really like him, though he presented him with his own uniform at one point because he thought Slade's wasn't smart enough(??) And the debacle at Maguilla, which resulted in him eventually being sent home, could have happened to anyone, really. It's just that Slade tried to put the blame on everyone else which got Wellington's back up, I think.

I haven't read Le Marchant's biography but it seems he suffered a bit from the 'Moore' syndrome in that he'd upset a few people, either in government or at Court. A bit like Montbrun upset Napoleon by toddling off to get married when he should have been with his regiment leaving for Spain. How could he! lol
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Postby ronn » March 5th, 2012, 7:47 am

stuart_bates wrote:Mark,

are you aware of another book on British uniforms, equipment etc. from the War of 1812? Here is the link http://www.servicepub.com/ and I and a couple of friends are about to order copies.

There is an accompanying American book but I may pass on that one. BTW: Servicepub is a member of VWF.

Stuart

Addenda to my previous comments: Rene Chartrand's "A Scarlet Coat..." was favorably reviewed by Donald Graves and comprises a superb companion to his long unavailable 1992 work on American uniforms and equipment in the War of 1812. Actually, for those whose interests relate to such, I would highly advise you pick up his expanded revision of the latter reference "A Most Warlike Appearance..." before they sell out like "A Scarlet Coat...". From an American and Canadian perspective, both of these books are unique in the field. Ron
ronn

Postby ronn » March 5th, 2012, 8:42 pm

It appears Chartrand's "A Scarlet Coat..." is set for a second printing, due in mid-April. Lucky for those who missed out on the first. Ron
ronn

Postby Mark » March 5th, 2012, 11:29 pm

ronn wrote:It appears Chartrand's "A Scarlet Coat..." is set for a second printing, due in mid-April. Lucky for those who missed out on the first. Ron

Hi Ron

I am not familiar with this particular work - when was it originally published?

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby stuart_bates » March 5th, 2012, 11:58 pm

mark,

check out http://servicepub.com/ although it is currently sold out. My copy is on the waves as we speak - Canada Post being too expensive for airmail.

Stuart
stuart_bates

Postby Mark » March 6th, 2012, 12:00 am

stuart_bates wrote:mark,

check out http://servicepub.com/ although it is currently sold out. My copy is on the waves as we speak - Canada Post being too expensive for airmail.

Stuart

Thanks, Stuart! I do recognise this book now (and the author)! ;)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby John Waller » March 6th, 2012, 11:13 am

Caliver Books in the UK has copies of A Scarlett Coat. I browsed a copy the other week. Dave Ryan said he was the only seller apart from the publisher to have copies.
John Waller
Participating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials