Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Two Napoleonic titles from Greenhill early 2017

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest such as DVD/TV documentaries and film.

Two Napoleonic titles from Greenhill early 2017

Postby Hope » December 25th, 2016, 4:23 am

Greenhill books will publish two napoleonic titles along with its relaunch early 2017.
Waterloo: The Campaign of 1815 Vol 1 by John Hussey
https://www.facebook.com/greenhillbooks ... =3&theater

Napoleon Victorious by Peter Tsouras
https://www.facebook.com/greenhillbooks ... =3&theater

The Hussey one will have an extent of 728 pages, oh my god.
Hope

Re: Two Napoleonic titles from Greenhill early 2017

Postby DaveH » December 25th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Blimey, 728 pages (including a shot at his favourite opponent, now in Wandsworth clink awaiting extradition)!

But oh dear, Tsouras - a previously unknown "Napoleonic author" - makes a very basic blunder: "Grouchy marches to the sound of the guns on the morning of Waterloo." - erm, except, can anyone name an occasion, when this actually happened in the French army? Please, no mythology about Desaix at Marengo - he sent a messenger back to Napoleon as he knew the assumptions N was working on were manifestly incorrect.
DaveH

Postby Senarmont198 » December 25th, 2016, 5:40 pm

Tsouras' book, if you read the title page, is an alternate history; a 'what if' book if you prefer.

Pete Tsouras has done a few of those for Greenhill in the past.
Senarmont198

Postby Senarmont198 » December 25th, 2016, 5:45 pm

Marching to the sound of the guns is a euphemism for marching towards the fighting whether or not one has been ordered to do so.

In that context, Desaix most certainly did; in point of fact, he guided himself towards Marengo after being recalled on the smoke rising from the battlefield and the noise of heavy gunfire coming from the direction of the fighting.

And it should be noted that Desaix stopped what he was doing before he sent Savary to Napoleon requesting further orders because the reconnaissance conducted towards Novi had revealed no Austrians. That halt, ande ensuing delay marching south away from the battlefield, on Desaix's own initiative, gave him enough time to reach Marengo and save the Armee de la Reserve.
Senarmont198

Postby DaveH » December 25th, 2016, 10:06 pm

Tsouras's previous works have been on WW2 and the American Civil war, so there is no evidence that he has any grasp of Napoleonic warfare.

'Marching to guns' is marching back to the sound of guns without orders. The myth has arisen that it happened in Napoleonic warfare, due to 1) the idea that Desaix did and 2) that Grouchy should have. While I am no fan of alternative history (because actually no-one can have a complete grasp of all the variables), using something, which is not applicable to the subject just makes the whole alternative collapse.

Desaix had not stopped operations, as some of Boudet's troops were well beyond Rivalta, but operations were difficult, due to the fast flow of the Bormida and Boudet turns back when Napoleon's messenger arrives (see Boudet's report http://www.simmonsgames.com/research/au ... ch.html#s2). The river runs north-south, so Desaix already had rising smoke east of the Bormida and knowing what Napoleon's expectations were, he queried his orders. Napoleon told Savary, Desaix's AdC, where he wanted Desaix to march to and the map http://www.simmonsgames.com/tools/mapvi ... Frame.html should make it clear how you march from the south to form troops up around Cascina Grossa.
DaveH

Postby Hope » January 16th, 2017, 11:38 am

Waterloo: The Campaign of 1815 Vol 1 by John Hussey will be set for release at the end of April this year.
It seems we will get 2 Waterloo titles in one month. :D :D
Hope

Postby Digby » January 31st, 2017, 5:41 pm

That's two more books on my wanted list (the two volumes by John Hussey. I have read some of his articles and he goes into great depth.

The Napoleon Victorious - I am not so sure about.

I already have Napoleon's Waterloo Campaign An alternative History Volume 1 by Steven Marthinsen. (441 pages)

This is also about Grouchy marching to the guns.
I have not read it yet, but it looks quite interesting.
But there is only so much time and is it really worth 441 pages on such a "novel"
But as an unreformed collector I feel obliged to order volume 2 so that my collection is complete.

Just as I will probably feel obliged to order Napoleon Victorious
Digby

Postby Senarmont198 » March 18th, 2017, 3:40 pm

John Hussey's first Waterloo volume is being offered with a discount on the Napoleon Series. It's on the pull down menu at the top of the page under 'What's New.'
Senarmont198

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials