Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Description book 1809-1816 40th & 47th foot

Please post all research regarding individual Napoleonic soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Description book 1809-1816 40th & 47th foot

Postby devils own » September 27th, 2017, 10:27 am

Good morning All

Are the description book for officers or are they for other Ranks.
Are their description books for 40th & 47th foot & would it give the birth place of a soldier?

Kind Regards

Paul
devils own

Re: Description book 1809-1816 40th & 47th foot

Postby jf42 » September 27th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Paul- greetings. Description books are to record the details of recruits to be used in the case of desertion. Naturally, one would not need such information for holders of the KIng's commission.

Description Books are classified under the series W.O. 25 at the National Archives in Kew. IIn my experience there can be gaps in the record but if records for the 40th and 47th have survived that is where they will be. The information recorded for individuals is thorough: build, facial coloring, hair colour; occupation and, in Scotland at least, parish of birth. The record also also contains place recruited and the officer responsible.

Good luck.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Re: Description book 1809-1816 40th & 47th foot

Postby devils own » September 28th, 2017, 9:24 am

jf42 wrote:Paul- greetings. Description books are to record the details of recruits to be used in the case of desertion. Naturally, one would not need such information for holders of the KIng's commission.

Description Books are classified under the series W.O. 25 at the National Archives in Kew. IIn my experience there can be gaps in the record but if records for the 40th and 47th have survived that is where they will be. The information recorded for individuals is thorough: build, facial coloring, hair colour; occupation and, in Scotland at least, parish of birth. The record also also contains place recruited and the officer responsible.

Good luck.

Cheers for that, its what I hoped it would mean. I have an ancestor who joined at hilsea in 1812 into the 47th until it was disbanded in oct 14. he then joined the 40th in may 15 & died in India in 1835. The musters give no place of birth. Because he was only 16 & catholic , his name being Carberry, we are trying to find out where he was born & if his father was a soldier, hilsea being a depot etc.
Paul
devils own

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors